"Thanks for excellent information & advice"
D & D Brennan, UK
Springfield boasts being the closest township to Selwyn's Six skifields; having one of New Zealand's newest national parks, the Korowai/Torlesse Tussocklands Park; some of the world class rock climbing and bouldering in the Castle Hill Rocks, (Kura Tawhiti); the Craigieburn Forest Park for wonderful walks, mountain biking tracks, Cave Stream area and then of course Arthur's Pass National Park with a magnitude of day walks and overnight tramping - Arthur's Pass Village is the highest township in NZ.
Within the Springfield township area you can enjoy "New Zealand jetboating at its best" on the mighty Waimakariri River and gorge, or taste "One of the best NZ experiences" on horseback in magnificent scenery.
Whats Happening in Springfield today!
Springfield is also the closet town to the "Land of Narnia" with the battle scene for the movie "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" being filmed near here. Many of the film crew lived in the town while the film was in production. This is all within an hours drive of the township.
Be sure to pick up your maps, Great Alpine Highway & Selwyn District visitor guide and info from the Springfield Visitor Information Buro, Springfield Railway Station, King Street (follow the 'I' signs from SH73), the Great Alpine Highway. Other activities to enquire about are shopping, markets, food and wine trails, galleries, festivals, events etc.
Regional weather can be changeable so be prepared to bring warmer clothing especially if you are heading into the alpine area or taking on some of the following outdoor activities. Please note that often Springfield weather is better than Christchurch - so check the weather with us when making an enquiry or booking.
Walking & Hiking
For day walks you can pick up info and maps at the Information Buro - however for overnight tramps you will need to fill in an intentions form at the Arthur's Pass Visitor Centre or DOC Offices.
Some of the wonderful activites and things to see in do while in the Springfield area:
- Waimak Alpine Jet
" True New Zealand jetboating through breathtaking alpine scenery! Excite yourself!"
- Rubicon Valley Horsetreks"Spectacular scenic lookouts, Waimakariri River canyon, offering horses and trails for every skill leveland for all to enjoy!"
- Rubicon Valley Farm Show "On a working farm with spectacular scenery, enjoy watching the sheep dogs at work, have a go at shearing a sheep, and feed the friendly farm animals including Alpaca"
- Toby Hill Farm Show - Riverside
- Adventure Trailrides "Offroad
tours suitable for beginners and experienced riders"
- Chill-ski Pass
"Winter fun with a flexi ski/snowboard pass for Ten ski areas"
- Ski Fields
Porters, Mt Cheeseman, Mt Olympus, Broken River, Cragieburn, Temple Basin
Click on map to enlarge
- Tours and Transport "Book your daily Travel on the Great Alpine Highway SH73 with Atomic Shuttle and West Coast Shuttle or enquire about other tour options available in the area."
- Nature"s Highway "Freedom cycle in New Zealand"
- Golf "Within 20 minutes to an hours drive from Springfield 3 magnificent golf courses"
Waimakariri Golf Course, Hororata Golf Course, Terrace Downs Golf Resort
Click here for further enquiries or bookings.
to confirm your bookings.
For more uselful links including weather forecasts and road conditions click here
Temple Basin Mt Olympus